Wednesday 9 January 2008

webs ads, time-based activism

I was just checking out the Daily Kos for results of the New Hampshire primaries, when my eye wandered to one of their premium ad spots. The ad is about closing Guantanamo Bay, paid for by the American Civil Liberties Union.

First of all, kudos to ACLU for great timing. Loads of politically-engaged, liberal-thinking people are going to drop in to the Daily Kos during such an important event in the presidential election cycle. They're a primary audience that is often forgotten or deliberately ignored because organisations often think that they're already on board. But I don't think that necessarily are. There's heaps of issues out there and it can be taken for granted that engaged people care (or know) about yours.

All kinds of journalists, bloggers and media will also be checking in -- so that's another good audience to reach.

I clicked on the ad and went through to the ACLU website. It went straight to the campaign page -- it's a simple thing, but it's surprising how often organisations get it wrong -- which has information about the Close Guantanamo Bay day of action events and how people can get involved.

I really like the time-based activism. They've broken it up into 1, 5 and 15 minute activities. Just right for people who are time-poor -- which is probably most of us. There's nothing particularly inventive in the activities you can do there, but it's a good range. I like the 'ask me why I'm wearing orange' poster to stick up at work (or wherever) when you wear orange on the day of action.

No comments: